Monday 9 March 2009

Hugs that mean “thank you”

Last Friday it was a short improvisation workshop – one hour long or so - and with few kids – around 8 or 10 participants, varying in the course of the session. But I did enjoy myself.

The “cloth exercise” was the usual success. You lay down on the floor a cloth or a blanket – or anything similar you might have at hand – in the centre of a circle of participants. Then, people are free to step in, one at a time, and use their imagination to make the cloth into something. They can’t use sounds; just gestures and performance. The cloth can be anything you want it to be: superman’s cape; a baby; a car; a skirt. You just need to shape it and perform it.

The kids hold themselves back at the beginning. Tough to imagine something out of nothing. I’ve been told and read that school education in Guatemala is not famous for pushing for children’s creativity and artistic expression. From what I’ve seen thus far, I tend to agree.

But children are always imaginative. Humans are that way; it’s how we’re wired up. After a first few rounds when I demonstrated the game, the kids got the taste of it. After each time laughter and applause raised their confidence, and they kept coming in, expressing new things, performing new objects out of nothing. I had planned the game to last 15 minutes or so, but I think it lasted more than double that. And some of the kids kept going on their own for the rest of the afternoon.

You could see the more introverted ones waiting and seeing; staying to last. You could see their eyes becoming bigger when someone was finishing their run and they were gaining courage to step in; their feet started moving, their legs shaking, they made a small movement to step up and in, but then someone would be quicker and more confident, and would take their turn. And then their eyes would get smaller, less vivid. And then again, the same expression of intention, until someone would take their place over. Up to the point when they were finally resolute enough and were able to perform their thing. It went well. People laughed. People encouraged them. And the next time they hesitated less. Their self-belief grew, and so did their energy and participation level.

This is what I truly believe artistic expression can do for anyone – and above all, children. Its makes your imagination grow, it builds your confidence.

I saw that happen, yet again. With few kids, for little more than hour, but it was there. So, it was worth it.

The shiest of the kids playing – the one I was thinking of when I was describing how introverts’ confidence grew over time – gave me a big hug at the end of the afternoon. Similar to the ones we’re often given at the end of the sessions at Reforzamiento: kids head to the door to leave, but come back for a brief hug. A silent one, or with a simple “hasta mañana, prof”. I think it means “thank you”. That’s the way I feel it at least.

I don’t think I have seen this very often – kids thanking you for the time you spend playing with them - sometimes20 minutes or less.

It says a lot about I see missing around here…

1 comment:

  1. That's why you're the greatest person I will ever, ever meet! Beijos mil, mp

    ReplyDelete