Wednesday 11 March 2009

8 Portuguese students

I paid a visit to Conchita and her family this Monday. It had been a while since I last been there. It was a nice chat, and amidst promises to burn them 2 CDs of Portuguese music (was thinking of a selection of Fado and Carlos Paredes) I also told Maria (Conchita’s youngest daughter) we could go back to our Portuguese classes. We hadn’t had a session since I left Conchita’s place two weeks ago or so.

Wednesday’s at 6pm in UPAVIM. She asked if she could bring ONE friend too. Sure, why not?

To be honest, I had forgotten it. I was Skypeing when someone called for me: “Gustavo, you have a bunch of girls here for the Portuguese classes!”

A bunch. They were right – 8 souls came over; 8 souls interested in speaking Portuguese in Guatemala. I don’t know if all of them are studying Tourism as Maria is. That’s where her interest comes from, so I don’t know if the same applies to all the others.

They were really paying attention in our improvised class room at UPAVIM’s kitchen roof. I didn’t have a black board, so I was keeping my hand writing as large as possible in an A4 piece of paper.

It was so refreshing to have something happen spontaneously around here. No need to push, no need to follow up – pure word of mouth and genuine interest. That’s it.

Man, it felt good indeed. Next class is on Monday, at 6pm. Every Monday and Wednesday at the same time, we agreed to.

Let’s see if the momentum and enthusiasm keep up. If theirs do, mine will.

No comments:

Post a Comment