Monday 30 March 2009

Alone in Nebaj

High up in the mountains, Nebaj is a nice contrast with Chichicastenango. From a tourist presence point of view, I mean. You rarely see one. At least at this time of the year, it seems. I’m all alone in the hostel. And have only seen a handful of other foreigners thus far.

Today was time to kill time. I plan to go for a few days of trekking, starting tomorrow. Nebaj is surrounded by green mountains, and there doesn’t seem to be much else to do around here than trekking, so that’s just what I’ll do.

So, time to kill time, I was saying. A couple of hours' walk to some waterfalls near by. A random chat with a country side man, his son and his mule (no, that one didn't talk) – on their way to a 5-hour walk to their village, so that they can save the 10Qz of the tuc-tuc ride. A short ride on a gentle soul’s motorbike, back to Nebaj. Lazy reading. Lazy lunch.

And that’s it…






No comments:

Post a Comment