Monday 13 April 2009

Rio Dulce – the cherry on top of the cake

(Saturday, 11 April 2009)

Rio Dulce was my last stop in Guatemala. Nice surprise.

If you’d have to guess from the look of it in the centre of town, by the bridge, you’d never say so.

The shabby first encounter is in deep contrast with the water front, which has green forest all around and some secluded places just by the river, only accessible by boat.

I stayed in some nice bungalows, set in a small and quiet river branch. To swim, you´ve top paddle 5 minutes or so in the jungle covered canal, to access the floating platform set in the open water. And the place has a great barbecue dinner menu – my best meal since I left home. By far.

I’ve missed this type of quality. It’s true that I’ve been staying at budget places, but so it was this one. And so were many of those where we stayed in Southeast Asia.

I’ve been thinking how people seem to live better in Southeast Asia than here – even if on a similar budget. I think it partially has to do with the culture – that of the locals and of the tourists who come here too.

The food is better there. Religion less imposing. You’ve the massages. The “healthy mind on an healthy body” mindset. And I guess that ends up spilling over to the travel experience.

Don´t take it wrong - I'm amazed at some of the beauty I've seen here. But if you'd ask me where I'd rather live, Thailand or Guatemala, I wouldn't have second thoughts about it...





No comments:

Post a Comment