Monday 20 April 2009

Bring me the boat

(Wednesday – Friday, 15-17 April 2009)

The ferry ride from La Ceiba to the Roátan island, in Honduras, was really really bumpy. Half the people in the boat got sick. I didn’t just because I had nothing on my stomach – good decision not to have lunch before boarding...

But it was worth it. Not so much because of the island. At least where I stayed, in West Bay, there isn’t much to write home about. The sand is golden, the water crystal clear, but the all place has been taken over by tourists and ex-pats, most of them living from diving or related activities. This means the place really lacks character.

But diving was what made the all trip worth it. I really loved the course: saw lobsters, turtles (they really swim fast under water…), scorpion fish… :-) The reef is huge and relatively well preserved, so I can understand why this is the diving Mecca of Central America…

And now I think I’m addicted to it! I see why people come for a diving course of a few days, and end up staying months to complete several specialities and even doing the all thing up to diving master. I notice myself thinking how much I’d love to the same, and drawing all these plans about what to do with the certification when I’m back home.

Mike: do you still want to pursue the dream of sharing a boat? If so, I just have a request more: we need diving equipment…






2 comments:

  1. Bro, bring the diving equipment! Abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah... and by the way, in 2 months you can officially call me captain... ;) pursuing the dream...

    ReplyDelete