Saturday 11 April 2009

It’s all the way south from here

I'm preparing to leave Flores to head south to Rio Dulce. Then to the Honduran border, for a week of diving in the Caribbean reef. I’ll finally have the opportunity to get my certification – yeah!

Then, I think I’ll stay in Costa Rica until the end of the month, before heading to Colombia. South America, at last!

Heard from another traveller about how good and cheap diving in the northern Honduran islands is. Picked a random (and old…) travel guidebook for Costa Rica left behind in a hostel – I liked what I read and so I decided where to focus during the rest of my Central America trip. That’s the good thing of travelling without too much of plan or set itinerary at the beginning: you can keep making one all the time. It feels good: me, without a rigid plan. For a change.

I was planning to leave Flores yesterday, but found the bus station closed – forgot which day was it. Easter is taken seriously here…

So, time to have some rest in Flores, drink the best fruit shake ever, eat at the street food stalls and watch a bit of a procession here and there.

I’ve to say the Semana Santa celebrations don’t do it for me. The processions are nice – big crowds walking over streets covered in flowers, music, incense. But I can live well without watching them, really.

I seem immune to the contagious excitement that strikes Guatemalans and tourists alike in this time of the year. It’s maybe because I’m not religious at all? Probably not, as many of the people who excitedly watch these processions aren’t either…

I guess it reminds of Fatima too much. And I don’t like it.


I’ll leave for later on the thoughts that have been coming to my mind because of that feeling. I don’t want to be cursed because of them. Not during Semana Santa at least… ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment