Wednesday 3 June 2009

Mompós, Alentejo - Portugal

(Monday, 1 June 2009)

Google map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=pt-PT&geocode=&q=mompos+colombia&sll=53.904338,-4.042969&sspn=12.7084,28.125&ie=UTF8&ll=10.049994,-73.806152&spn=2.65012,5.603027&z=8

From its atmosphere, it could be a little village in Alentejo, south of Portugal: hot (damn hot!), peaceful, genuine, friendly and beautiful.

I was positively impressed by the colonial architecture, which not being as majestic as that of Cartagena (not even close) is impressive nonetheless. But what left me most satisfied with the all experience was the cosiness of the place. Absolute tranquillity in walking the streets at any hour of the day or night, no harassment from anyone trying to sell sex, drugs or sun glasses, friendly locals proactive in advising me on what not to miss in their home town and… no other tourist in sight. Not a single one for the all time I was there.

I felt like visiting a little piece of real Colombia. As I walked through the streets I felt people didn’t look at me as stranger and foreigner, but with the same friendliness they addressed to each other, greeting me “buenos dias” and “buenas noches” as if I were their neighbour. This includes the family that owns Casa Amarilla, the hostel where I stayed – being the only tourist around, they asked me to be the official photographer of their newly refurbished rooms, for a promotion to be soon launched, targeted at Colombian tourists from Bogotá. Of course, I accepted, but I'm not too sure about the photos - only time will tell...


All very nice, very nice indeed.

Additionally, being able to read Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s “Crónica de una muerte anunciada” in the small Colombian village where the story takes place added some more charm to the all thing. Proudly, I was able to read the book in Spanish without any major problems. ¡Si!

_







Break-dancing?

_
Cycling my way around - due to the heat, only possible after 5pm really...

No comments:

Post a Comment