Wednesday 3 June 2009

I did it

Google map:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=pt-PT&geocode=&q=san+gil+colombia&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.739664,28.125&ie=UTF8&ll=6.568776,-73.200531&spn=1.336959,2.801514&z=9

San Gil is a quite small town, but anyone who likes extreme sports will feel here like a kid who enters Toys "R" Us for the first time – overwhelmed and having a hard time choosing…

The steep and windy canyons make perfect conditions for paragliding and mountaineering. Fast rivers and waterfalls are calling for kayaking, rafting, and rappelling. Name one, and you got it.

In the morning I decided to conquer my worst fear of all – bungee jumping (I think it comes from seeing people doing it over the beach of Ribeira de Ilhas, in Ericeira - Portugal, while not in total control of my mental abilities...). In the afternoon I tried something new – paragliding. Tomorrow, rafting – a recently discovered thrill. :-)

A few thoughts…

First, doing two of these things in the same day may be a bit too much. It’s great fun and rushes your adrenaline to unseen levels, but you may be somehow under anaesthesia from the first thrill when you get to the second… On the other hand, nothing like another beer to kill a hangover, right?

Second, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I don’t know what’s best – if the incredible sensations you go through during these activities or the stupid smile and feeling of absolute peace and happiness that walk with you during the rest of the day. I haven’t felt this level of relaxation and inner satisfaction since… I left London!

Third, a special word for a special fear: bungee jumping. It was as exciting to do as terrifying to anticipate and imagine beforehand. And that’s what makes this type of experience so special…

Adrenaline – what a drug.
_
"The bridge". OK, not the highest bungee jumping spot in the world (only something like 25m, I think), but you need to learn how to walk before you learn how to run, right?

We arrived much earlier than the bungee jumping instructors, so had time to... gain some courage

Smile of overconfidence, not nerves at this point. Here I thought I'd be laughing at the camera and telling jokes when about to jump

Well, not very talkative before jumping, am I? I refused to jump at the first count of 3-2-1, so what you see here is the second attempt. Curiously, what gave me the most fear was having to step up on the bridge's breast-rail - stupid, right? It's only one meter more after all... Well, finally I cleared my mind of any thoughts, and just did it - it's easier that way. The screams and the arm waving furiously - I had to let it out somehow, right? Better that way than... you know...

Getting ready to paraglide, still under the effect of anaesthesia


Flying, where only the birds do :-)

Previous sky-diving experiences helped me cool down and enjoy the experience. However this thing is far more manoeuvrable and is able to quickly change altitude - up and down - in a way a parachute can't. If feels a bit more... hum... fragile!


_
Impressive when the guy steers the paraglide a bit more harshly, and you start spinning and moving up and down. Cool...
_

That's not me, but the guy who followed. But it goes high, doesn't it? Up to 800 meters today :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment