Friday 13 February 2009

Bread with soya

I’ve been wondering around in the last few days, observing the people at UPAVIM and asking questions here and there to find a worthwhile project to dedicate my time to.

I guess the timing couldn’t be better for a mini financial turmoil at some of UPAVIM’s businesses: a bakery and a soya production shop, both run by the women in the community.

In addition to my time with the kids, I suddenly became the messiah who should help shed light on how to boost the bakery and get the soya production up and running, after it was shut down in December. I guess they noticed what I wrote down in the application about my business background …


The last two days have been strangely familiar. Being introduced as someone “who is here to help”, but having to position things nicely so that you don’t step on anyone’s toes, especially as an outsider. Finding out what the numbers are, running after missing information. Hearing from person A that only person B knows piece of information X, only to hear the reverse when you finally get to speak to person B. Listening to 101 different views on what the strategy should be. Observing a lot of misunderstandings. Identifying a subtle yet visible competition for the most powerful positions. Finding out about personality clashes. Trying to overcome mismanagement and lack of accountability.

Management consultancy in Guatemala City. So different, yet so much the same.

I had never thought about it…

1 comment:

  1. the human being has the same nature all over the world. So you must to encourage them to learn how to fish...In another way ,the powerfull position is always too attractive,and they will be always dependent from donations.
    wih love
    mother

    ReplyDelete