Wednesday 22 July 2009

You know you’ve turned 30 when…

(Wednesday, 15 July 2009)

… you fall down the stairs like only old men do.

It’s early in the morning and I’m leaving the hostel in Puerto Ayora, in the Galapagos, to catch the flight back to the mainland. It’s dark inside but, stupidly, I’ve my sunglasses on, anticipating the bright light outside. I’m walking towards the exit door, getting into the final corridor. I don’t see there is one final step (bloody sun glasses!), my right foot misses the ground and I fall on the floor, face down, too quickly to even try to stop the fall with my arms. Yes, falling literally face down, with my nose, mouth and bally the first things to get in contact with the ground. Difficult to breath for a few seconds, pain in pretty much every inch of my body and sun glasses half broken – well done for them!

So no, it wasn’t consequence of alcoholic birthday celebrations the night before. It was just result of being half blind due to an urgent sense of fashion, and responding a bit quicker than usual to the law of gravity due to carrying a 15kg backpack on me.

Actually, the celebrations of my 30th birthday were quite smooth. The night of the 13th, yes, was a bit wild. I think more celebrating to be on dry land again after 4 days on a boat than my upcoming 30s, I got pretty shit-faced and apparently ended up dancing salsa half naked, with the gnome in my mouth at times, in a small dance-floor joint in Puerto Ayora, Galapagos. Apparently too, there are some photos of that around - I can't wait to see them. But on the night of the 14th all I had for myself was a great dinner (the most expensive of the trip!) a few beers, and a nice book.

Yes, turning 30, ageing fast here…

But well, back to the stupid and humiliating fall, no harm was done, besides some temporary damage to my pride. No one saw it – I triple checked it.

Well, it was good to remind me: I’m 30, I need to be careful with those knees and falls from stairs!

Happy birthday, Gusti…

No comments:

Post a Comment